10:15 PM

Urban Decay, Alice in Wonderland Book of Shadows-review and swatches

Unfortunately I have to break the news that you can no longer get this palette, unless you are really lucky or want to pay the exorbitant prices on Evil Bay (E-Bay). I bought mine the moment that came out on Urbandecay.com, and I believe it was something like the 15th of January. The palette retailed at $52 USD and came with 12 shadows, a mini of Primer Potion (a cult classic) and 2 mini 24/7 liners in Zero (black) and Flipside(teal blue). I know that seems like a lot to pay for one item, but I've used this palette almost daily since I purchased it. The shadows really are quite big and there is a certain collector's item feel to this. The shadows are all recently released Urban Decay shadows, but they were renamed to fit the Alice In Wonderland theme. Now, if you already have the Urban Decay shadows, this is probably something that you won't be interested in finding. This was the first item I've purchased from Urban Decay, I missed out on the other Book of Shadows, so I immediately jumped on this one. I'll go through each color and describe them and post swatches and pictures. If you want to get the colors, the original UD colors are in the parentheses.

Pictures of the Palette:
 
  
 
I forgot to take a picture of the top of the palette, it's a really cute pop-up scene from the classic Alice in Wonderland book and a mirror. Here, because I love you so much:


Underland (Flash):  A vibrant, shimmery purple shade. Not a deep purple color. The shimmer is very finely milled and looks more pearlized. Not gritty glitter, smooth, and wonderful pigmentation and blendability.

Alice (Painkiller): Extremely vibrant blue shade with a tinge of teal. Shimmery but not glittery or gritty. Extremely smooth, pigmented and blendable.

Oraculum (Baked): Beautiful gold color, with a slight tinge of orange. Shimmery but not gritty. Smooth, pigmented and blendable. Looks great on blue eyes.

Queen (Last Call): My personal favorite color in the palette, it is a gorgeous plummy cranberry shade. This color is great for green eyes. Pigmentation is excellent, shimmery not gritty, smooth and this shadow lasts all day.

Chessur (Chopper): Peachy-golden color with small silver glitter particles. Even though this has the glitter particles, I've never had any gritty-ness or problems with fall out. It is smooth, blendable, and pigmented.

White Rabbit (Polyester Bride): White shimmery shade with small silver glitter particles. This shadow is easy to work with, but it does have somewhat of a gritty feeling to it. It does take more care to apply it, but I still love the color. I find it best to place this color using a "patting" motion on the lid, and fall out is usually not an issue with this method.

Wonderland (Maui Wowie): I would describe this as an old gold shade with a slight olive green tone, the color is gorgeous! It does have the fine silver glitter, but is extremely smooth, pigmented, and blendable. I don't find this color hard to work with at all.

Curiouser (Grifter): A beautiful light lilac-pink color with fine silver glitter. This shadow is also smooth, and blendable. Although the shade is pigmented, I do layer on the color because the shade is very light. I love pairing this color with Queen.

Muchness (X): My second fav in the palette, Muchness is a gorgeous peach shadow with gold duochrome and light really reflects the gold. This is such a fun color! Smooth, pigmented, and easy to blend.

Mushroom (Mushroom, the name didn't change): Somewhat of a muddy brown, olive green shimmery shade. I know that description doesn't sound appealing, but the color is very pretty and versatile. I like wearing this color with browns and olive green shadows, it's a perfect blending color for these shades. It's slightly shimmery, pigmented, and smooth.

Midnight Tea Party (Midnight Cowboy Rides Again): Ahh....if you know anything about UD shadows, you know this one is chock full of chunky silver glitter. The base is a very pretty champagne like color, and then it's full of silver glitter. It's pretty fine, but still noticeably more glittery than the other shadows. It is tricky to work with this shade and I definitely suggest using the "pat method" to apply. I like to wear it for fun outings when glitter is acceptable. WARNING: at the the end of the night you will have glitter on your face :)

Vorpal (S&M):  This color is in competition with Queen as my favorite shadow. It's a smokey metallic gray color and is the most awesome color to accompany a smokey eye. I even love wearing it with metallic green colors too. This shadow is smooth, pigmented, blendable, and I would say it's more of a metallic sheen than a shimmer. I pair this with M.A.C Carbon for the perfect smokey eye.

Absolem (Homegrown): This is my 3rd favorite shadow. It's a shimmery, fresh, kelly green shadow. This shadow is really versatile and looks wonderful on brown/hazel eyes. So smooth, pigmented, and blendable. Easily one of my favorite green shades.

Drink Me, Eat Me (Sin): One of the best shimmery neutral champagne shadows I own. I love wearing this color all over my lid as an easy wash of color. It pairs great with virtually any shadow and blends like a dream. This is a great color for people that want a soft color. As with all the shadows, it is smooth, blendable, and pigmented.

Mad Hatter (Twice Baked): Deep cocoa brown with slight shimmer. I love using this color in the socket for depth and definition. It's also great for a deep brown wash on the lids. I find this color works wonderful with its counterpart Baked. Truly versatile, smooth, pigmented, and blendable.

Jabberwocky (Oil Slick): This color is a pretty spot on dupe of M.A.C's Black Tied shadow. The base is a matte black, and it's filled with fine silver glitter. This shade is fun and surprisingly easy to work with. I use this for a twist on the classic smokey eye and apply it on the lid with a gray in socket. The patting motion causes the least amount of mess and fall out. Don't ever be afraid of black shadow, if you know what you are doing you can make it extremely wearable. I also use this as an eyeliner applied with a small angle brush.

 
From Left to Right: Grifter, Wonderland, White Rabbit, Chessur, Queen, Oraculum, Alice, and Wonderland
All swatches are done using Urban Decay Primer Potion as a base


 
From Left to Right: Jabberwocky, Mad Hatter, Drink Me-Eat Me, Absolem, Vorpale, Midnight Tea Party, Mushroom, and Muchness
All swatches were done using Urban Decay Primer Potion as a base.

The palette also came with two 24-7 liners in Zero ( creamy matte black shade) and Flipside (creamy blue teal shade). Unfortunately I forget to swatch them and I really don't feel like getting my cam out, taking pics, then uploading. Google probably can show you about a million pictures of them swatched. These liners are great to use in the waterline, and really last a long time. It really speaks to their ability because I have extremely watery eyes and these liner last a long time on me.

In addition to the liners you get a mini bottle of the cult fav Urban Decay Primer Potion (aka UDPP and much easier to type). UDPP is probably the most well known eyeshadow base on the planet. It is a silky, light flesh colored, cream type consistency primer that is used on the lids. The purpose of an eyeshadow primer is to prevent creasing, make shadows last all day, and appear more vibrant in color. The one great thing about UDPP is that it actually works. I, however, am a Too Faced Shadow Insurance girl (MUCH better packaging, and works just as well). Although I use the UDPP a lot, I will still probably get my TFSI again because the packaging of UDPP is just plain stupid. It's in a really cutesy genie shaped bottle and has a doe foot applicator. Don't see the problem? Well when you think you are done with UDPP you really aren't, you still have a TON of product left after the applicator is unable to reach the product at the bottom. Product is still along the sides and at the very bottom. To get ALL the product out your must remove the stopper, literally saw open the container, and decant it to another container. Honestly that would be too much work for me to get the full bang for my buck so I just use TFSI. Read over 1,000 reviews of UDPP on www.makeupalley.com. And do a search on www.youtube.com about decanting UDPP. Here is a pic of UDPP and TFSI:

 
See what I mean?


 
This is in a squeeze tube...doesn't that make more sense?


Well everyone, if you've stuck this through to the end, I thank you. I will be back tomorrow with another long winded but useful entry. Until then, stay beautiful everyone!


0 comments: