3:34 PM

Sigma Makeup Brush Set in Pink- A Review

For those of you who don't know much about me and my makeup, brushes are one of my favorite things to purchase. For me, brushes are the difference between good makeup and bad makeup. An artist must use the correct tools to paint their canvas...unfortunately those tools are often painful to the wallet. Enter Sigma brushes. December of 09' I ordered my pink brush kit from http://www.sigmamakeup.com/index.html. Now I heard so many youtube makeup "gurus" singing the praises of these "just like MAC brushes but cheaper"; at first I was very skeptical, because the people raving about them had received them for free, which does make ones' opinion subjective. So for my Christmas present  to myself I took the plunge and ordered the complete set in pink. I think it will be best to compare each brush one by one. For those of you new to makeup brushes, MAC is usually the standard for quality and variety and every Sigma brush correlates to its MAC counterpart (a MAC 190 brush is a Sigma Series SS190 brush). The price was 89 US Dollars for 12 brushes and the brush roll to hold them.  All of these brushes are hand made and VERY high quality.  Here is the set that I purchased:

 

  

Let's Get Started with the Face Brushes.....


Sigma SS 187, correlates to MAC 187 (duo fibre stippling brush):
 



The black part of the brush is natural fibers (usually goat hair) and the white tips are synthetic. The white hairs that stick out create something called a pixelized effect on the skin when apply foundation and creams. This pixelizing effect gives a soft focus look on this skin, making it look more perfected; "airbrused" is the word you will hear most often. I also use this type of brush to diffuse intensely pigmented blushes. I also own the MAC 187 (which retails at $48 USD- ouch) which this brush compares to. While the Sigma brush is priced right, I do prefer the MAC one over this. I simply feel the MAC brush is more dense and blends foundation better than the Sigma. However, the Sigma brush is great for applying blushes and cream products. Synthetic and natural bristles.


Sigma SS 190, Correlates to the MAC 190 (filbert cut, flat foundation brush):

  


The traditional standard for foundation brushes is the large filbert cut. These can be made of both natural and synthetic hairs (as a rule, synthetic brushes usually work better with cream or liquid products)  Now, I do not own the MAC 190 brush to compare, but I do own a Clinique foundation brush that is the same type of brush and the same cut.  Unfortunately I do not often reach for my SS190 brush, for some reason the way the hair is cut causes it to poke me in the face when I apply my foundation, which is quite uncomfortable. I consider myself pretty tough beauty wise, but I just plain don't like this brush. I use it when I am in a pinch and my other one is disgustingly dirty, Perhaps I got a dud, but this one is the only brush I was not happy with. Synthetic bristles.


Sigma SS 150, correlates to MAC 150 (large paddle powder brush):


 
I also do not own the MAC 150 brush to compare this to, but I am still going to review anyways. This brush is a lot bigger than the photos appear, and the handle is quite long. I do really like this brush for applying a setting powder all over my face because it doesn't pick up too much product and make it cakey, digg? What I really use this brush for is applying shimmery powders or glitter to body areas (shoulders, chest, arms). It picks up the perfect amount and diffuses very softly. After a good wash this brush is quite soft. Natural bristles. 


Sigma SS 168 Brush, correlates to MAC 168 (angled white goat hair blusher/contour brush):


I do not own the MAC 168 brush, and this brush was one I was most excited to try. Now this brush had the most funky smell after I washed it (as do most white haired brushes) but it did become incredibly soft after it was dry, and the smell goes away. Unfortunately the brush lost some of its shape and I was not as impressed with it as I thought I would be. Angled brushes are best used to contour or shadow the cheekbones (essentially faking it so you look like you have nice and pretty defined cheekbones). I think if this brush was a bit more dense I would absolutely adore it. It does work really well for precise placement of blush, but I just don't prefer it for contour. I still want the MAC 168. Natural bristles.


Sigma SS 194, correlates with the MAC 194 (small, filbert cut concealer brush):

  


Again, I do not own the MAC brush. This is an awesome little brush! I really never thought I needed a concealer brush (I had been using my finger) until I got this little baby. It really helps blend out my MAC Studio Finish concealer (which covers amazingly but is really thick) and it helps place a small amount of product. This brush is very firm and does not give me the pokey feeling its big brother SS190 does. I use this under my eyes all the time too, and it's so easy. My favorite face brush in my set from Sigma. Synthetic bristles.


Now onto the Eye brushes from the Kit....

Sigma eye brushes are really amazing. I think they are far superior to the face series. I use at least 1 of my Sigma eye brushes everyday, more often than some of my MAC brushes too. We'll start with the Sigma SS 239 brush.


Sigma SS 239, correlates to the MAC 239 (flat, stiff  "shader"  brush, used mostly to pack color onto the eyelid) :




I do own the counterpart, MAC 239 brush so I can make a direct comparison between the two. The MAC 239 is a bit flatter than the SS239 and bristles are just a bit longer, it is not as thick as the SS239. The SS239 is a wonderful brush and I use just as much as I do the MAC one. I find the SS239 is easier to give me quick intense color all over my lid, where as the MAC 239 is smaller and I use it to apply color on lid more precisely. Do I prefer one over the over? No, I don't, I use them for 2 different things, and I love them both. Another excellent brush to my collection. Natural bristles. 


Sigma SS 275, correlates to MAC 275 (angled, fluffy crease/contour brush):

 

I do not own the MAC 275, and I don't think I'll ever have a reason to. This is kind of like the eye version of a 168, but so, so much better. I use this brush for placing a highlight shade under my brow bone. The angle of this brush makes it fit perfectly and apply effortlessly. At first it seems like a flimsy little thing, but it is a real multitask-er. I also like to use this brush in my socket to apply a deeper shade for depth, also when I go a little overboard with the intensity of my socket color I can use this little baby to diffuse. Excellent, excellent, little brush. Natural bristles. 


Sigma SS 252, correlates to the MAC 252 (large, flat shader brush):

 

I do not own the MAC 252, and again, I don't think I'll ever need to (unless I become a MAC artist and get the brushes for gratis). The 252 is somewhat like a traditional concealer brush, but it is a bit wider and really great for placing products all over the lid quickly. Now, this is the ONLY brush I use to apply cream shadows to my eyes, it's perfect. I use MAC paint pots a lot and this just applies them neatly and quick. Natural bristles.


Sigma SS 266, correlates to MAC 266 (small angled liner brush):





I do not own the MAC 266, I do own another brush the is comparable to this one. The brush I won I order it some time ago from a wholesale distributor called Coastal Scents based out of Naples, FL. Their liner brush was a bit thicker and I prefer to use it on my brows. The 266 is an awesome little brush. It makes child's play of applying gel liners (one thing I really had to practice at before I was good) and I also like to use this on my brows too. It is a synthetic brush so it is perfect for picking up cream products and applying them smoothly, also helps create the perfect "winged" line. A great little tool and I doubt I'll ever purchase the MAC one.



Sigma SS 219, correlates to MAC 219 (pointed pencil brush):

  

I do not own the MAC 219, but to be honest I probably will purchase it. The SS219 was the only Sigma eye brush I was not that impressed with. A pencil brush is used to apply shadow, liner, pigments (whatever really) to small, tight areas of the eye. I would ideally use one to apply shading to my lower lash line, as it does not look as harsh as traditional eyeliner. The problem I have with this brush is that it isn't as pointed as I wanted to be. As you can see in the above picture, it is a more rounded shape. This brush does get the job done for the time being, but I am looking for a more pointed brush. Natural bristles. 


Sigma SS 224, correlates to MAC 224 (large, fluffy blending brush):

  


I do not own the MAC 224, but I will purchase it one day and not because I am unhappy with the Sigma brush. This is a fluffy round, blending brush. I use it to blend harsh lines, to softly apply washes of color, to lightly apply socket shades, and to blend concealer under my eyes. This brush is a true multi use tool, and I will never be without it. Natural bristles.



Sigma SS 210, correlates to MAC 210 (fine pointed liner brush):

 

Last, but certainly not least, I adore this little brush. I do not own the MAC 210 brush, and I don't know if I'll purchase it. This is a wonderful brush to apply a nice thin eyeliner to the upper lash line. This creates a really fine line for a more natural look, I actually like this one a bit better than the 266 for liner. I also use this brush for the "tightlining" technique (which is lining your upper water line, tricky to do and harder to get use to but the result is awesome) and I find it makes my eyes water the least for this technique. I suggest this brush for beginners learning how to apply gel or cream liner. 


WHEW! That was long, but I wanted to provide a thorough review for everyone. They are really good quality brushes and perfect for beginners and people trying to build a brush collection. The brush roll they come in is very nice and makes transporting brushes easy.  Stay beautiful everyone!

Disclaimer:
All of the products were
purchased with my own money.





0 comments: